Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Thespian's Alphabet-I

I is for intermission.

Now, when it comes to HELP, we ALWAYS, repeat ALWAYS, do junior versions. Fiddler on the Roof, they cut out the dream sequence(which we put back in-HA!), The Rumor, Little Chavaleh, and Now I Have Everything-which was one of the songs I would have been in, thank you. Seussical-Havin' A Hunch, reprises, and even part of the plotline. Really?! It just happens with junior versions. Still fun, but not the whole experience. When you also have group voice, numerous musical classes, MT Jr., and who knows what else performing, really, we wouldn't have TIME for the uncut version. Thus, no intermission. 

We have an intermission of our own, however.

For some odd reason, talent runs through family when it comes to MT at HELP. Adam, Bekah, Caleb, and I, for some, have the ability to play "mentor" to Bram, Cora, Rikah, Sam, and Abby, who are, I must boast, QUITE talented, and have a tendency to snag roles that make the audience believe that too. HOWEVER. This means that we, as the older siblings, are pressed into service as backstage help. Last year saw us, along with our roles in Annie, with me being a backstage hand and the rest on crew. OUR intermission, is when the little rascals have finished making the audience happy with their musical, usually much more light-hearted than ours is, and we participate in the race to zoom out before anyone has left their seats, eat in a record 10 minutes, and get into our costumes, makeup, mics, wait for a mic check, help everyone else since we're all running around like crazy, and generally get our blood pressure up.

Somehow, I don't think that's what an intermission is for.

Oh well. That's the way I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment