Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Thespian's Alphabet-C

C is for costumes.


I don't know if it's like a twist of fate or something, but almost every musical I've been in, I've had to wear a period costume. The Music Man? Uh-huh. Fiddler on the Roof? Chyeah. Annie? Bring it. HONK! even had me dressing like a younger June Cleaver, high heels, big white beads, and all. And the thing about all these period costumes is, they're long, and high-necked, and HOT. It may not seem that bad, but you get onstage with all those lights and layers, adding to the fact that you're already nervous, it's outrageous. My cheeks will easily turn an interesting shade of orchid. Bleah.


An old thing of mine used to be that I did not want to take the costume off, because that would really make it feel like it was over. But last time I came home, dude, I was in hate with that costume. It's already over. TAKE THE DRESS OFF. Something tells me that by next year I'll have joined the legion of people who take it off directly after the bows and appear at the after-party in casual, normal clothes.


Another thing with costumes is, in my drama class, we have to find half our costumes ourselves. Sometimes a coat or an essential piece is provided, but we have to dig the rest up ourselves. And since we're "young ladies and gentlemen", and we outgrow things, or things can be adjusted, we share. An apron that Mrs. Paroo(my big sister) wore in The Music Man is still alive and has been used for 2 or 3 musicals throughout the years. A dress that Amaryllis(my bestie Cassidy) wore in The Music Man was used for Tom Sawyer's teaser last year. It's interesting to see how much we've grown.


Let me tell you, costumes are a pain the actor has to live with. It's fun to stand out in a crowd, but it's fun to change to regular clothes........

No comments:

Post a Comment