Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Thespian's Alphabet-A

The thespian's alphabet. Get ready.


A is for Auditions.


Well, naturally.


I don't know if all actresses have this, but when I get up to audition, I am scared out of my mind. Like seriously. I wonder if Bernadette Peters was ever this scared. And I usually get the part I want, but even if I don't, I know that maybe I just wasn't right for the part. That's the thing about show biz. You may want to play, say, Mayzie La Bird in Seussical the Musical. But your acting style and voice may  be more geared to Gertrude McFuzz. This actually happened to me last year. I had auditions for Fiddler on the Roof, and I wanted to be Golde. So, I auditioned. And ended up as Hodel. And had a blast. So keep your hopes up.


Auditions are so much harder to think of than call-backs, because the thing about auditions is, they are your ticket in. If they want to punch your ticket, you feel more confident, right? With auditions, if you fail, you are out, O-U-T, out. But if you go to call-backs and don't do so good, you might make it into the ensemble. At least they gave you a second chance. 


Another thing about auditions is, you have to think about the part you're trying out for. If you wanted to be Ariel in The Little Mermaid, would you sing Razzle Dazzle from Chicago?! Hmm, let's see. NO. 


I'm stubborn, though. If I wanna sing that song, I just might sing it. Deal with that, director-man.


Just be careful you don't end up Ursula.

No comments:

Post a Comment