Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Thespian's Alphabet-E

E is for entertainment.


That's what it is, isn't it? We're entertainers. Performers. THESPIANS, if you will. We sing, act, and dance to take people away from bills and jobs and whiny kids and fighting friends and cute boys that never notice you and just-plain-rainy-days to a place of your desiring. 


It's a pure and delightful honor.


The thing is, while they're entertained by our feats, we have to LEARN those feats.


Last week in drama class, we had to learn a simple dance. I wasn't sure if my character was supposed to do anything, but Mrs. M, our fearless leader, said, "Learn it anyway." Ok, how hard can this be?


Bad, bad move on my part.


I have been gifted with many things. I have wonderful friends and my father has a good livelihood. I get along well with my family. I can sing, I can act.


BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME. I cannot dance.


It gets really frustrating, y'know?! I'm trying SO HARD to get this right, and I just don't feel coordinated in the least. I'm about to cry with frustration and depression. Then *Hallelujah chorus* Mrs. M says I don't have to be in it. 


YES.


So I watch Sydney, Allye, Cass, Mattie, Bekah, and the rest of them perform. No sweat for me, correct?


Rachel, you have got to cut this out.


I sang "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here" OVER AND OVER AND OVER again. And still, I couldn't hit the notes the way I wanted to. I mean, what's with that?! That's pretty uncool.


Extra practicing for this chick.


And yet, when we get up on that stage every April to entertain them, make them lose your head in another world for an hour or so, it will all be worth it. Even complete strangers come up to you and tell you how good you were. You feel important. You've worked hard. You've made memories. You've made friends. And, the ultimate culmination of our sweat, tears, and blood is a wonderful, wonderful event, sugared with memories for a lifetime.


Say, want some entertainment? *Ba-da-da-dum-dum-dah....*

No comments:

Post a Comment